By far the majority of foreign investments is focused on the mineral extraction and geological exploration. A significant part of foreign investments is introduced into the manufacturing industry, in particular, wood processing and food industry.
Primary areas of foreign investment receipts:
1. Oil-gas field development in Tomsk Region executing geological prospecting and exploration. Investor countries – India, Cyprus;
2. Investment project implementation in the development of woodworking industry in Asino (Asino Timber Industrial Park) executing lumbering operations in Teguldet Region. Key investor countries - China (“AVIC International Holding Corporation” represented by management company CJSC “RosKitInvest” and “Hyonda-Sibir” LtD.), Republic of Korea;
3. Execution of detailed engineering and geological prospecting. Investor countries - Switzerland, Sweden;
4. Enterprise in computing technologies. Investor countries - USA, Germany;
Insignificant investment percentage was observed in food industry (Investor country- Australia).
There are 13 foreign-resident companies involved in Tomsk Special Technology Development Economic Zone, mainly:
- “Solagift” LtD.- investor “Solagran” Ltd (Australia);
- “MainConcept–DivX” LtD. research department of DivX Inc. Corporation (USA);
- “Emishen”LtD. - research department of company “EmtekMonitoring AS” (Norway);
- “VRCom” LtD. - research department of company “Darim Vision” (Republic of Korea);
- “MOJE KERAMIK IMPLANTATE” LtD. investor “MOJE KERAMIK IMPLANTATE” (Germany);
- “Tomsklab” LtD.– investor “Vadaro.PTE” (Singapore);
- “Wireless Technology Center” LtD.– investors Closed Joint-Stock Company Research& Development Firm "Micran" (Russia, Tomsk) and Nokia Siemens Networks (Finland);
- “Bosh Center” LtD. (Business Technology Center, LtD) (Germany),
- “VEG” LtD. (North America) and other companies.
There has been successful experience in constructing trade center “METRO Cash & Carry” (Germany) in Tomsk.
Investment promotion is required to implement the major investment projects, including infrastructure projects (such as “Tomsk Imbankment”, construction of “Academpark”, development of tourist clusters within the territory of Tomsk Region).
Support measures for investment projects:
1. Subsidies for major project implementation.
2. Tax benefits: assets tax (50% of assets tax on the fixed project assets for 5 years); organization profits tax (5.26% of fixed project assets).
Development of the investment infrastructure:
1) Construction of industrial park in Tomsk, total area of which will be 138 ha and includes two 2 sites (“Severnaya” (North) – metal industry, chemical industry, production of construction materials; “Berezovaya” – food industry). The total project involvement sum will be about 29.0 million USD in 2013-2015, including 22.0 million USD from the federal budget, of which 5.0 million USD in 2013.
2) Development of Tomsk Special Technology Development Economic Zone infrastructure including the construction of the Expocentre, Administration-Business Center and Engineering Center.
System of preferences for the residents of Tomsk Special Technology Development Economic Zone:
1) resident-estate developers:
• - hire-purchase of land parcel after commissioning at 13,736.0 USD/ha;
• - during construction rent rate 2,747.0 USD a year/ha;
• - transport and engineering infrastructures for each land parcel, the cost of technical specification for utility network connection will be about 467.0 USD.
2) incentive rate of rent payments for office-laboratories (in 2012):
• - 12 USD/m2 for office rooms, including utility payments;
• - 10 USD/m2 for laboratory rooms, including utility payments.
3) tax benefits:
- - land tax (within first 5 years) - 0 %,
- - transport tax (within first 10 years) - 0%,
- - property tax (within first 10 years) - 0%,
- - profit tax pay to the federal budget (from 01 January 2012 till 01 January 2018) - 0%,
- - profit tax pay to the region budget – 13.5%,
- - tax pay by simplified taxation system from tax object “income reduced by expenses” - 5 %,
- - insurance payments to non-budgetary funds:
in 2012 - 2017 - 14%,
in 2018 - 21%,
in 2019 — 28%.
4) customs preferences: free custom zone within Tomsk Special Technology Development Economic Zone according to which:
• - imported foreign goods by a resident for R&D activities implementation are stored and used within this Zone without import customs duties and value-added tax on importation;
• - Customs Union goods are stored and used within this Zone free of charge or on the terms of stowing according to the free customs zone procedure.
Profitable Investment Opportunities in Tomsk Region
1. Unique human assets
Tomsk is the leading Russian educational and scientific center, where 29.7%of the population has higher education.
2. Abundant natural resources
The region is rich in mineral deposits (crude oil, gas, iron ore and otherore deposits), timber and water resources. It is the 2nd in Russia in peat resources.
3. Modern support infrastructure in innovation activities of small and medium businesses
Industrial park is being constructed now. Current infrastructure includes technological cluster (technopark), business incubators, innovation and technological centers, commercialization offices, research assistance centers, guarantee and venture funds, export support center and regional integrated center, as well as, business support centers, credit cooperatives, guarantee fund, engineering centers and other structures.
4. Tomsk Technology Development Special Economic Zone
Tomsk SEZ was established in 2006. Specializations: nanotechnology, information and communication technology and electronics, biotechnology and medicine.